Urban Resilience Project (URP)
The main objective of URP is to develop disaster response system, including emergency operations center, interoperability communication systems, search and rescue equipment, and related training and drills etc. to build up the response capacity of the various organizations such as Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC), Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC), Sylhet City Corporation (SCC), Fire Service and Civil Defense (FSCD) and Department of Disaster Management (DDM). The Government of Bangladesh (GoB) has received US$173.00 million IDA credit against the URP.
The components of URP are as follows:
Component A : Reinforcing the Country’s Emergency Management Response Capacity
- Component A1: Renovate and outfit national-level Disaster Risk Management (DRM) facilities;
- Component A2: Build, renovate and outfit local-level City Corporation and Fire Service and Civil Defense DRM facilities in Dhaka and Sylhet;
- Component A3: Supply, install and integrate specialized Emergency Management and Communications Technology (ECT) equipment for DRM and emergency response within national-level and local-level agencies;
- Component A4: Supply specialized search and rescue equipment to local-level agencies involved in DRM;
- Component A5: Provide Training, Exercises and Drills (TED) to national-level and local-level agencies involved in DRM.
- Sub-Component A1 & A5 will be implemented by DDM. On the other hand, Sub-Component A2, A3 & A4 implemented by DNCC.
Component B: Program on Assessment of Vulnerability of Critical and Essential Facilities and Lifelines
- Component B1: Assessment of vulnerability of critical and essential facilities and lifelines;
- Component B2: Support for development of a Risk-sensitive Land Use Planning Practice in Dhaka
Component C: Improved Construction, Urban Planning and Development
- Component C1: Creating and operationalizing the Urban Resilience Unit (URU) in RAJUK;
- Component C2: Electronic construction permitting at RAJUK;
- Component C3: Professional Accreditation Program for engineers, architects and planners;
- Component C4: Building Code Enforcement within RAJUK.
- Component B & C will be implemented by RAJUK.
Component D: Project Implementation Monitoring and Evaluation
- URP Implementation Monitoring & Evaluation activities.
- This Component will be implemented by PCMU.